Insights from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) show that almost one in five claims made on buildings and contents insurance is for damage that’s been caused by water leaks, with insurers paying out around £2.5 million in total, every day!
Niall Quinn, Director, Gullion Ltd Loss Assessors and Surveyors said, “You don’t need frost and cold weather conditions to experience a water leak at your property. General wear and tear on the pipe work or appliances can results in leaks from dishwashers, showers, baths and storage attic water tanks, throughout the year causing extensive damage.
“A small water leak at only 20 drips per minute could generate almost 3 gallons of water every day. Water travels quickly so if you notice any bubbling or flaking paint above the skirting board or cracked floor tiles, please act on it immediately. Seeing the impact on homes and businesses every day, we can’t stress enough how important it is to maintain, repair and stay vigilant to any signs of a water leak in order to minimise risk and damage to your property and the disruption it can cause to day-to-day living. In some cases clients have to vacate their home for a number of weeks to allow for drying out and restoration works to be completed.
“We would urge property owners to check their insurance policy to ensure that you are covered for:
- the full rebuild costs, not the market value of the property
- alternative accommodation
- repairing or replacing burst pipes (this is not the same as ‘escape of water’ which may cover the damage the leak causes only)
- trace and access which will cover the costs of finding the source of the leak
- check your excess as water damage claims often carry an additional compulsory excess
“At Gullion Ltd, we can help you negotiate the best settlement with your insurance company to ensure that you achieve your full entitlement, under the terms and conditions of your policy.”
- Call 028 3082 8838
- Director Paul Murchan Mob: 07765 042222
- Director Niall Quinn Mob: 07493 786780
- Email: email@example.com
- You can also contact Directors Paul Murchan or Niall Quinn by WhatsApp, Facebook IM or Google
WE WORK FOR YOU, THE POLICYHOLDER, NOT FOR YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.